Monday, October 22, 2007

A boy I know through the internet posted this poem, which I felt should not be held to myself. It would be selfish of me not to repost it for the few people who read this blog not to lay their eyes upon.

How can I keep my soul in me, so that
it doesn’t touch your soul? How can I raise
it high enough, past you, to other things?
I would like to shelter it, among remote
lost objects, in some dark and silent place
that doesn’t resonate when your depths resound.
Yet everything that touches us, me and you,
takes us together like a violin’s bow,
which draws one voice out of two separate strings.
Upon what instrument are we two spanned?
And what musician holds us in his hand?
Oh sweetest song.
Love Song, Rainier Maria Rilke

A while ago, I would have told you that I didn't like poetry that much because it made my head hurt and it was hard for me to read. Within a given amount of time, my opinion has completely changed. Mostly, I realized that it's damned near impossible for words to give you a headache, and more so, that was a ridiculous excuse to ignore the provided. So I started reading it whenever I saw it. I like it. Yes I do. And yes, I'm still adapting to the silly ways of distinguished British writing and the mature ways of describing such things, but I like. I can like it however I choose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a road, demonstrating the general emphasis of the following paragraph.

I am driving a circle around the United States, with a plan to avoid the Midwest with all of my ability. I am doing so because my heart told me to do it and my head followed its direction. I will begin a photo book of every state that I go to, every home that I stay at, every person I meet. I will meander across the east coast, beginning in Savannah, Georgia and ending in Manchester, New Hampshire. Then across the north I will go, swerving around, from Chicago to Milwaukee, Spearfish to Denver, Salt Lake City to Walla Walla. The West should serve me well, going to Santa Barbara to Flagstaff. Then to anywhere, Dallas. Home. Of course, I may tweak these in the future because I have until May to set a complete plan, but even then...when I'm on the road I can change my plans. If I allow myself $40 a month (which is doable, really), I will have approximately $4000 saved by May. That is...if I don't have to shell out any money for classes or room and board. Which is highly unlikely. Either way, I will make it work. I will I will. I promise you this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's very ambitious. I hope you are able to do it.